My attempt at Hopper
In this morning’s art class, I finished off my attempt at one of Hopper’s paintings (Early Sunday Morning, 1930). The original is
and mine is
Not a patch on Hopper, of course, but it is better than the earlier attempt I made at the empty room, so quite pleased. I really cannot do straight lines. Have to figure out an exercise for that. Mine is also a lot brighter: need to get braver with the darker tones. Also need to get better at the detail work.
Have started an attempt at a Cezanne as well. That should prove interesting.
Just realised that the extra tones (shadows and such) ought to have been created using washes. Doh!