Dead tree

Quick update on the tree painting. I thought of creating a wash (using water) from the background in the last stage of the painting (see previous post) and adding more and more yellow ochre to this to create and deepen a green that I could apply over the background to bring it up to the right colour and shades. It half worked.

dead tree

I added raw umber and phthalo green to the mix in the last couple of washes to deepen the colour. Wasn’t happy with the result. I then washed the background with matt medium to try to get it to recede and the foreground with gloss to bring it out. Bah!

I’ve decided to finish with this painting, take it to my new teacher in a couple of weeks and see if he can tell me how I ought to have done this in the first place. Not sure I’m that interested in the image itself that I’ll try it again. Ah well, on to something else.

Posted on April 28, 2011, in Art and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink. Leave a comment.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: